2021s ‘Dune’ Receives an Earlier Release Date
A couple of sources in the last few hours have revealed an earlier release date for Dune. As of the writing of the article, the movie is still expected to arrive as planned in America on the 1st October 2021, alongside its HBO Max debut. However, the international market will get the chance to see the film two weeks in advance:
France will reportedly premier Dune on the 15th October 2021:
Australia will reportedly premier on the 16th September 2021:
We have it: ‘Dune’ 16 September 2021 cinema release in Australia — Cameron Williams
It was also mentioned in a passing in an Australian newsletter:
Dune releases in Australian cinemas on September 16. — Concrete Playground
The earlier international release date has also been revealed by DiscussingFilm, which appears to be a reasonably reliable source:
‘DUNE’ will release on September 15 internationally. — DiscussingFilm
It has been a ride to finally receive a release for Dune:
- 15th February 2020 — Dune dated for late November 2020.
- 2nd August 2020 — Dune pushed by a month.
- 5th October 2020 — Dune is delayed by almost a year.
- 3rd December 2020 — WB announces HBO Max slate.
And so it begins.
- 7th December 2020 — Legendary threatens to sue WB.
- 22th December 2020 — Rumours of preserving Dune as a theatrical release.
- 8th January 2021 — Further such rumours. Also, it has been discovered WB has been illegally using Dune footage to promote their streaming service.
- 16th January 2021 — Then-Latest HBO Max trailer had no Dune footage, as a result.
- 21st January 2021 — James Bond: ‘No Time To Die’ Release Date Delayed to Fall — A WEEK AFTER DUNE.
- 27th January 2021 — The current/latest HBO Max trailer shows Dune footage.
- Currently — WB still showcases Dune as a simultaneous theatrical and HBO Max film.
What All This Means
Judging by all of the relevant information we have uncovered, it appears Dune will indeed premier two weeks earlier internationally before arriving in America (or the domestic release will also get pulled back a week to avoid competition with James Bond), where it will be debut day-and-date theatrically and on HBO Max. I believe the latter strategy is actually the best thing to happen to Dune.