A lucky group of audience have managed to already see Dune as part of a testing group. Allegedly. However, this film was likely incomplete. Even then, the review score was pretty high and this was from an audience who had no familiarity in the Duniverse. The following will group the scenes of the movie based on the script and compare it against the unconfirmed screening.
Warner Bros, please don’t take this article. I am merely advertising the movie. For no extra charge. And don’t worry about spoilers: It’s based on a 1965 book which was adapted into a 1984 film and later a 2000 miniseries. The film structure is practically identical to the miniseries. The story is already out there! The reason Blade Runner 2049 was domestically unsuccessful was because of a botched marketing campaign. Over here, this analysis will entice people to come out and be familiar with Dune. This in turn will encourage people to watch the complex film, which is not easily digestible in the first place as it’s primarily designed for mature audiences! And boom: Profits!
Alternatively, if you don’t want to be spoiled, there is always the introductory article. This article also includes relevant affiliated links.
Without further ado:
- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam narrating.
- Narration was replace by text in the tested cut — Scene currently incomplete?
- Somebody parachutes and lands on Arrakis.
- It’s Duncan Idaho.
- Title: Dune
- Lady Jessica is meditating.
- A spaceship lands on a rainy Caladan.
- Bene Gesserits arrive.
- Paul dreams of a mysterious girl.
- Lady Jessica wakes him up.
- He gets dressed and ready to leave.
- Lady Jessica takes Paul to the library to meet Gaius Helen Mohiam.
- Lady Jessica stays outside and guards the door.
- “What’s in the Box” — Gom Jabbar.
- Helen Mohiam hints Paul that Arrakis is a deathtrap.
- Mohiam Scolds Lady Jessica for not bearing daughters.
- Mohiam leaves in a shuttle.
- Looks like rain.
- Paul confronts Jessica.
- Paul learns about Arrakis.
- Talks with Thufir Hawat.
- Paul trains with Gurney Halleck.
- Gurney also plays a Balliset — This was not present in the tested cut.
- Paul also trains with Jessica.
- Harkonnen world introduction.
- Harkonnen household introduced.
- Conspiracy unveiled.
- Paul meets Duke Leto.
- Authority of the Emperor explained.
- Leto recognises foul-play of the deportation.
- Paul, Leto and Jessica enter ship.
- Jessica becomes tearful.
- Stilgar sees Arrakeen.
- Atreides land on Arrakis.
- The crowd shouts “Lisan Al-Ghaib” to Jessica and Paul.
- Missionaria Protectiva explained to Paul by Jessica.
- She translate a text from Arabesque calligraphy.
- Atreides legions identify a Crucifixion field.
- Some mummified remains remain.
- Leto orders the takedown of crosses.
- Arrakeen residents overlook.
- Paul and Jessica exit the ornithopter next to the date palm stands.
- People refer to Paul as ‘Mahdi’ — An Arabic term based on Islamic prophecy.
- Eyes of the Ibad witnessed.
- Paul looks at a Sandworm mural.
- Paul enters a bedroom. Thufir joins in (no homo).
- Dr Yeuh also enters and handles Paul the Orange Catholic Bible.
- Shadout Mapes introduced.
- Talks with Lady Jessica in Chakobsa.
- Crysknife accidentally revealed.
- Jessica marks the chest of Mapes with the knife.
- Leto examines Arrakis with binoculars.
- Him and Gurney discuss Duncan Idaho’s whereabouts.
- Properties of the spice melange are explained.
- Paul sees a mouse.
- He comes across the hunter-seeker.
- Shadout Mapes enters.
- Palace is searched.
- Dead culprit is found.
- Suspected as a Harkonnen agent.
- A mashup of Mentat interlocking conversations of Thufir and Pieter.
- Paul joins his first staff meeting.
- He is celebrated for his survival.
- Spice is discussed.
- Duncan finally arrives.
- Kynes is discussed.
- Duncan describes the sietches.
- “They fight like demons”
- Stilgar enters and spits on table.
- Paul, Gurney and Idaho sit together.
- They stare at the date palms.
- Liet Kynes introduced.
- Atreides get ready to travel into the desert.
- Dr Yeuh discusses his late wife with Jessica.
- Jessica reassures him.
- Kanly is discussed with Kynes and the Atreides.
- Spice harvesters rescued.
- Paul has a dream of a little Fremen girl — Alia?
- She stands next to the Baron — “I’m sorry, Grandfather”.
- Sandworm erupts and swallows the entire harvesting facility.
- Atreides are back home. Leto and Paul are hugged by Jessica.
- They plan a surprise attack on the Harkonnen homeworld.
- Paul acknowledges prescience to Jessica.
- He is touched by Shadout Mapes.
- Sardaukars being trained in Salusa Secundus.
- They are marked with bowls of blood.
- Blood arrives from the sliced throats of crucified prisoners.
- Piter requests three battalions.
- Leto hasn’t slept in 6 days.
- Dr Yeuh provides Leto a white pill.
- Jessica relaxes Leto.
- Gurney sees an explosion.
- Leto discusses the future of House Atreides with Paul.
- He suggests an alliance with the Fremen.
- Introduction of influential people in the great hall.
- Leto and Jessica walk together.
- A few girls flirt with Paul. They’ve never heard of “swimming” before.
- Paul takes off his dress uniform in his room.
- Dr Yeuh enters and gives a pink sleeping pill.
- Gurney and Idaho talk in the now-empty Great Hall.
- They share a whiskey bottle.
- Leto and Jessica sleep.
- Lights are slowly turned off in Arrakeen.
- Paul dreams of the woman again.
- Leto wakes up and follows a flickering light.
- He identifies a signal.
- He shouts security, but no answer.
- He is warned by a dying Shadout Mapes.
- Leto is darted and now paralysed.
- Dr Yeuh was the culprit.
- Harkonnens enter onto the streets.
- Gurney Halleck investigates an odd Guild Highliner.
- It’s a trap.
- He fights Harkonnens and Saurdakars.
- Dr Yeuh explains his treachery to Leto.
- He gives him a fake teeth to kill the Baron.
- He reassures that his family will be assisted.
- Duncan Idaho wakes out of bed to kill a Sardaukar.
- He kills another one in the hallway.
- He fights another two on the staircase.
- He jumps off the roof.
- He kills another one on the street and steals his ship.
- He flies away.
- Jessica is tied in Leto’s bedroom.
- Baron is talking to her.
- She discovers the source of the treachery.
- Paul joins in. In being tied.
- Harkonnens are victorious.
- Paul and Jessica are taken into the desert via an ornithopter.
- Jedi Mind Trick.
- They escape.
- Paul and Jessica land and walk in the desert
- Piter confronts Thufir in Arrakeen.
- The Baron eats a like a buffalo in front of the exposed Duke.
- The naked Duke is still paralysed.
- The Baron brutally decapitates Dr Yeuh with the blood splattering on the nearby servants who dare not move — In the test screening, there was no beheading. The throat was slashed.
- Baron refers to the Butlerian Jihad as the ‘Great Revolt’ and it appears to be in relation to the prequel book “Dune: The Battle of Corrin”.
- Leto bites his fake teeth and release a gas.
- Paul uncovers his Fremkit.
- They find a written message of Dr Yeuh saying Leto is now dead.
- Jessica sobs.
- Paul sees vision of a jihad. — In the trailer, Paul says “There is a crusade coming”. Let’s hope this isn’t a replacement of the Arabic word which is used in this scene and used more often in the books.
- Duke Leto’s lifeless body is seen.
- Baron slowly starts to move.
- Rabban finds him and tries to revive him.
- Duncan Idaho and Kynes talk in the desert.
- Paul and Jessica sleep in a tent.
- Paul sees a desert mouse.
- Paul and Jessica spot the smoke from Arrakeen’s destruction.
- Duncan finds and rescues them.
- They meet with Dr Kynes.
- They spot Harkonnen ships and are ready to escape.
- Shamir does a coffee service.
- Paul and Kynes exchange loyalty.
- Fremen ambush Sardaukar
- Duncan Idaho kills a bunch of them too.
- Paul and Jessica escape via an ornithopter as Duncan dies.
- Kynes stays behind.
- A sardaukar stabs Kynes through the chest from behind.
- He follows Kynes with the bloody blade.
- They both get swallowed by a sandworm.
- Paul and Jessica are pursued by Harkonnens.
- They fly into a storm.
- Harkonnens fully occupy the house.
- A slave boy and girl in revealing outfits tend to the Baron.
- Baron and Rabban discuss the deaths of Paul and Jessica.
- Lanville and his men attack spice stocks in the Harkonnen homeworld.
- They are ambushed and his men have fallen in combat.
- Lanville is captured and will return in part II fighting Feyd (God Willing).
- The two teenage slaves of the Baron are dead, twisted in an unnatural position.
- The Baron floats naked (aside from suspensors) and talks to Rabban.
- “Kill them”.
- Paul seeing a spice vision as loses control of the ornithopter at the 8km altitude.
- They glide out of the storm and crash land.
- Paul and Jessica take off their clothing to put on the stillsuits.
- They head for a greenery.
- Baron brainwashes Thufir.
- Baron says that the Lady Jessica was the traitor.
- He replaces Piter’s position.
- Elsewhere, Gurney goes back to smuggling.
- Paul and Jessica walk without rhythm.
- Sandworm arrives any way.
- They run to the rock and see the sandworm.
- Paul and Jessica arrive at a destination.
- They meet Fremen, one of them being Stilgar.
- He tries to kill Jessica, but is outmaneuvered.
- He finally meets Chani, the girl of his constant visions.
- Stilgar meets Reverend Mother Ramallo.
- He asks Jessica to take her title.
- Jessica attempts to connect with the Fremen.
- Jamis challenges Paul.
- Paul explains to Chani his versions of her.
- She advises Paul on how to kill Jamis.
- Paul stabs Jamis under his ribs and into his heart.
- Paul gives water to the dead.
- Proclamation of Paul as Usul & Muad’dib.
[This is the point where the film ends in the test screening]
- Jessica explains the concept of Reverend Mothers to Paul.
- Paul and Jessica see sandworm riders for the first time.
- Stilgar explains they are the first outsiders to bear witness.
- Fremen take off their stillsuits in front of each other. No modesty.
- Reverend Mother Ramallo meets Jessica in Chakobsa (subtitled).
- The crowd refers to Paul as “Mahdi”.
- A religious excitement begins.
- Ramallo makes a ceremonial speech.
- Chani gives Jessica the “water of life”.
- Jessica attempts to counteract the poison.
- Ramallo discovers Jessica is actually pregnant.
- After, the Fremen drink the water together.
- Paul suddenly receives prescient visions: Fanatical Fremen killing Sardaukars with Leto’s skull surrounded by the bones of slain Harkonnens.
- Chani takes Paul across a cavern.
- The spice orgy is witnessed. Some Fremen are in a trance, whilst others are behaving erotically.
- Ramallo finally collapses and she is touched by a dozen Fremen.
- Paul has another vision: It involves Gurney, Chani, Stilgar, a ‘young girl’ the Baron and Hawat. He also see an older version of himself.
- Paul wakes up and kisses Chani.
- Paul sees another visions. This time exclusively of Chani. And of a childbirth.
- Chani and Paul engage in lovemaking.
Update (08/01/2021 22:42 GMT) — Updated affiliated links. Also, Dune was certified PG-13, so this movie will likely not have the mature elements of the script as of this writing.